Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Promote Your Art: TuneCore

So, while browsing media promotion options the other days, I stumbled across a new site I'd never heard of: TuneCore.


I decided to do a little research. One of the articles I read actually stated that TuneCore was "...a household name in the music business".

I really just wanted to confirm that the site was definitely not a scam before sharing it here, but it turns out that I simply managed to miss one of the bigger site for artists that make a living. TuneCore is dedicated to insuring fairness for artists when it comes to their music royalties.

The pricing is not terribly expensive:  a  one-time $75 admin publishing fee,  $30-50 a year for an album, etc.

The main thing for me, though, is this: in all cases, TuneCore makes sure that the artist retains 100% of the rights to their music.

When it comes to the three big PRO(Publishing Rights Company)s, that is, SESAC, ASCAP, and BMI, there tends to be complications with using your music after you've registered, because suddenly you've got complications with which rights you have and how you can perform your own songs.

For me, I'd think long and hard about what it means to make bigger money but double-check every year after about how legal your performances are.

I like the idea of publishing/distributing your music well, but also retaining 100% of your music rights. I'm willing to pay extra money for that, so TuneCore has definitely caught my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment